Sunday, May 16, 2010

I've heard of people asking inappropriate quesitons, but...

...I think today may take the cake. 5 weeks, 0 days pregnant (and no, I still don't comprehend the whole idea of counting the time preconception, but I'll go with it). 1 day of shopping together. 1 maternity clothes store. 1 saleswoman. 1 stream of inappropriate questions. The shopping was pleasant: 2 hold'em in place bras, 1 cute t-shirt, coordinated tank-top/capri combo, and 1 $15 off coupon. And then the fun began.

Saleswoman - "So is your husband excited?"

- "I'm not married."

Saleswoman - "Your boyfriend?"

- "No. This is my partner." (Gestures at me.)

Saleswoman (smiling, but clearly taken by surprise) -"Oh! I'm sorry!" (fumble with things; embarrassed)

- "That's alright." (smiling)

Saleswoman - "So did you use in-vitro?" (Note: our only interaction with this woman prior to the ringing up of our purchase was her putting our items in a dressing room while we shopped; we are not family, friends, or even the most casual of acquaintances.)

- "No. Nothing that complicated or expensive."

Saleswoman - "Are you adopting then?"

- (Confused laughter and looking around at the maternity clothes) "Um, no."

Saleswoman - "Are you pregnant then?"

- "Yes." (Read: Why else would we be dropping $85 for some big-belly clothes?! True, Joey liked his Thanksgiving pants, but really now, use some common sense girl!)

We did manage to make it about 1/2 way out of the store before I said something to the effect of, "Just think of the blog post we'll write!" We may even have made it out the door before laughing too loudly. The joys of retail...Lionel, I don't think we're in Seattle anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment